BANNER ELK, NC--Today we begin a series of Up Close & Personal articles with the Lees-McRae basketball team. First up for the Bobcats is sophomore center Josh Kurtz who hails from Oak Ridge , NC. Join us as we get to know him a bit better.1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae?
I came to Lees-McRae to further my education and to play the
game I love.
2. How long have you been playing basketball? I've been playing basketball ever since I was three years old. My dad bought me a Fisher Price basketball goal, and it just gradually started there.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My personal goals for this season are to have a winning record and to strive toward excellence in everything my team and I do.
4. What's your favorite basketball memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite memory here so far has to be when we upset #19 Mount Olive at home last year. It was such a hard-fought game, and I was so happy for our seniors to finally beat one of the great powerhouses in our conference.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? The most influential person on my basketball career and in life has to be my dad. He's always been there for me. Every game, every day. I can't thank him enough for that.
6. If you weren't playing basketball, what other sport would you play? If I wasn't playing basketball, I would probably be playing football. I would love to be a quarterback or tight end.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is Religious Studies. I plan to go to divinity school after Lees-McRae and get involved in the church, which is such an influential part of my life.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? If I could travel back in time into any point in history, I'd go to the Renaissance time period. That was such an exciting time for our world. The history, artwork, and music were so phenomenal. It literally changed lifestyles.
9. What is your favorite book? My favorite book is the Bible.
10. What is your favorite food? Anything made by my mom.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? If I could visit any place in the world, I'd love to visit Africa. There are so many tribes, cultures, and animals there. It would be an awesome experience.
12. What is the one word that describes me and why? The one word that describes me is dependable. I always try my best to get things done for other people and myself in a timely manner no matter how hard the situation is.