Banner Elk, NC--As we continue our series of Up Close interviews with the men's basketball team at Lees-McRae we meet up with freshman Sam Youse of Winston-Salem, NC. Youse and teammate Dairl Scott played high school ball together at North Forsyth. This 6'3 guard/forward had a career high 14 points against Pfieffer University this past Monday and continues to improve as he, along with most of the team, transitions into collegiate level play.
1. What made you come to Lees-McRae? I came to Lees-McRae because it seemed like it would be a beautiful school to come to and it also gave me a chance to play the game that I love (basketball).
2. How long have you been playing basketball? I have been playing basketball since I was in the 8th grade.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My personal goals for this season are to do anything I can do to help my team win.
4. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? The most influential person of my career has always been my mother because she has only missed one of my athletic events ever since I have been doing sports activities.
5. If you weren't playing basketball, what other sport will you play? If I was not playing basketball right now I would be playing football, because that has always been my first love.
6. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I am majoring in finance but I am not sure of what I want to do after I graduate.
7. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would it be? If I could travel back in time it would be to my freshman year in high school because I wish I could do it all over again.
8. What is your favorite book? The Bible is my favorite book because I am real in touch with my religious side.
9. What is your favorite food? My favorite food is pizza.
10. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? If I could visit any place in the world it would be any island because I have always wanted to go somewhere like that.
11. What is one word that describes you and why? The one word that describes me is determination because I won't stop striving for something until I am happy with where I want to be.