As we continue our Up Close series of interviews with the
Bobcats we meet up with 6'4 sophomore Aaron Willey of Kingsport,
Tennessee. Willey, a guard/forward for the squad, has started all
seven games and is averaging 6.86 points per game. Off the court
he is pursuing a degree in humanities. Join us as we get to know
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae
College? The environment which the school provides and
the physical surroundings I get to enjoy every day.
2. What are you most looking forward to this
season? I am looking forward to being part of a new team
and the different situations and scenarios that we will go
3. In which part of the game does your strength
lie? My ability to adapt to every game and my ability to
execute my role on the team are what I see as my strengths.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for a
game? I look over the game plan and visualize how the
game might unfold.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your basketball
career? My father…He has stuck with me and helped
me through the different emotions I experience after every game in
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of
the Bobcat basketball team? My favorite part is the
feeling itself of being a part of a team. It is a good feeling
knowing that I have thirteen great guys and three great coaches
that will always have my back.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this
season? I want to improve my overall percentages from last
year and not make the same mistakes I made last year.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the
court? I would say not letting a mistake on offense effect
my defensive play.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life?
How? My brother Alex. I have always known him to be a
stand up guy who everyone likes. His success and achievements in
life has made me want to pursue and achieve my own personal
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon?
My idea of a perfect afternoon includes hearing the words "Class
11. If you could try something new today what would you
try and why? I would try skydiving. I may sound cliche
but there would not be any feeling like it.
12. Who is your favorite NBA player and why?
Lebron James. This also sounds cliche but he is undeniably the
best, and no one can stop him.