As we continue our Up Close series of interviews with the Bobcats we meet up with 6'4 sophomore Aaron Willey of Kingsport, Tennessee. Willey, a guard/forward for the squad, has started all seven games and is averaging 6.86 points per game. Off the court he is pursuing a degree in humanities. Join us as we get to know him.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? The environment which the school provides and the physical surroundings I get to enjoy every day.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to being part of a new team and the different situations and scenarios that we will go through.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? My ability to adapt to every game and my ability to execute my role on the team are what I see as my strengths.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for a game? I look over the game plan and visualize how the game might unfold.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your basketball career? My father…He has stuck with me and helped me through the different emotions I experience after every game in every season.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat basketball team? My favorite part is the feeling itself of being a part of a team. It is a good feeling knowing that I have thirteen great guys and three great coaches that will always have my back.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I want to improve my overall percentages from last year and not make the same mistakes I made last year.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the court? I would say not letting a mistake on offense effect my defensive play.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My brother Alex. I have always known him to be a stand up guy who everyone likes. His success and achievements in life has made me want to pursue and achieve my own personal goals.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? My idea of a perfect afternoon includes hearing the words "Class cancelled".
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try skydiving. I may sound cliche but there would not be any feeling like it.
12. Who is your favorite NBA player and why?
Lebron James. This also sounds cliche but he is undeniably the
best, and no one can stop him.