As we continue our Up Close series we meet up with sophomore Stephen Haymer who hails from Fayetteville, North Carolina. The 6'4 forward is averaging 7.4 points and five rebounds per game for the Bobcats. In the classroom he is pursuing a degree in criminal justice. Join us as we get to know him better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? It was good place to allow me to get a good education and play basketball.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to us improving as a team and being a stronger and better team than last year.
3. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? That I'll be able to be contribute, and that I as I comeback from my injury that I will still be able to be explosive.
4. In which part of the game does your strength lie? My strength lies in being able to get to the basket and go to the free throw line. Also, creating for other teammates as well is a strength.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your basketball career? My mom…She always was there when I was going through my ups and downs.
6. What do you do to prepare yourself for a game? I pray to the Lord, and then I read the Bible.
7. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat basketball team? The time that I get spend with my teammates.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the court? The biggest mental challenge I face is to go out there and play and know when the game is over that I gave everything I had.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? I would have to say my parents because they always believed in me no matter what was going on.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? My idea of a perfect afternoon is relaxing at the house playing the game with my little brother.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try sky diving because I would like to see what the rush is like.
12. Who is your favorite NBA player and why?
Lebron James. He is explosive and there are no weak points in his