Men's Lacrosse

Men’s Lacrosse Slips in Overtime to SAPC, 12-11

Men’s Lacrosse Slips in Overtime to SAPC, 12-11
Box score

LAURINBURG, N.C.- Riley Fink deposited the game-winning goal on a pass from Kyle Carnaggio with 1:33 left in overtime to give the St. Andrews Presbyterian College men's lacrosse team a 12-11 Conference Carolinas victory over the Lees-McRae College Bobcats on Saturday.

The Bobcats scored the final four goals of regulation including a game-tying tally by senior Matt Markey with 5.5 seconds left to force the four-minute, sudden-victory period.

Lees-McRae (3-2 Overall, 0-2 Conf.) won the face-off to start overtime and maintained possession for nearly the first two minutes but was unable to get a shot off before St. Andrews (2-6, 1-0) gained control off a Bobcats turnover. On the ensuing possession, Carnaggio made a precise pass from the top of the box to Fink, who was located on the left edge of the goal circle. Fink one-timed the feed from Carnaggio into the back of the net to end the game.

Carnaggio led the Knights with five points including three goals and two assists. Chris Michela followed with four points including his own hat trick and one assist. Fink's game-winner was his lone goal of the day as Michela and Fink are now tied for the team lead with 11 goals on the season.

A quartet of Bobcats scored two goals including junior Landon Guntman and the sophomore trio of Brett Yusiewicz, Derin Vacca, and Josh Shingleton.

Singleton (2G, 2A) and Markey (1 G, 3 A) led Lees-McRae with four points apiece.

After trading the first two goals, St. Andrews pulled out to a 5-1 lead with the final four goals of the first quarter. Harrison Young -- who capped the surge with an interception and fast break goal -- scored the Knights only goal of the second quarter. Lees-McRae scored 3-of-4 goals in the second stanza, shrinking the Bobcats deficit to two (6-4) at halftime.

Lees-McRae continued to rally after the break, stringing together three of the first four goals of the second half to deadlock the score at 7-7 before the Knights closed the period with the next two goals. SAPC then regained its largest lead of the afternoon with a pair of scores in a 14-second outburst to start the fourth. Michela and George Pugh netted the quick goals as SAPC led 11-7 with 13 minutes on the clock.

Guntman started the Bobcats dramatic comeback with a man-up goal at the 8:02 mark. After Vacca and Shingleton scored to pull Lees-McRae to within one, SAPC looked like it would hang on to win when Young caused a Lees-McRae turnover in the final minute with a hard hit that knocked the ball out of bounds. However, St. Andrews was unable to advance on the ensuing possession giving the ball back to the visitors with 16 seconds remaining in regulation. Markey was then able to advance the ball into the offensive zone before he riffled off his game-tying accurate shot from the right flank.

Lees-McRae won 19-of-27 face-offs and held a 44-34 shot advantage and a 32-28 ground ball edge but Knights' goalkeeper Kyle Davitt made a season-high 17 saves to keep St. Andrews in the game. Davitt earned his second collegiate win with his strong play in net.

Bobcats' netminder Mike Fahey was tagged with the loss, allowing the-game winning goal in overtime. Fahey make four saves in 20 minutes of action after relieving Andy Nesdill, who was injured late in the third quarter. Nesdill had eight stops over the first 43 minutes.

The Knights also got goals off the sticks of senior Aren Montgomery (San Antonio, Texas) and freshman Andrew Pike (Dublin, Ohio.). Montgomery and freshman Bobby Murray (Miami, Fla.) each handed out one assist.

Lees-McRae will host nonconference rival Mars Hill College at 4 p.m. Wednesday.