Men's Lacrosse

Tars edge Bobcats, 14-13, in overtime thriller

Tars edge Bobcats, 14-13, in overtime thriller
Box score

BANNER ELK, N.C. --- The Rollins College men's lacrosse team survived for a hard-fought 14-13 victory over Lees-McRae on Wednesday afternoon, answering a Bobcat rally with a late surge of its own to send the game into overtime on Tate Field.

Rollins (2-6) outshot Lees-McRae (1-7) by a 50-32 margin, including a 28-16 advantage in the first half, while converting 21-of-23 clear attempts. The Bobcats edged the Tars, 30-27, in ground balls, while winning 16-of-29 face-offs.

Danny Ives (Cheadle, Cheshire, England) paced the Bobcats with a game-high seven goals, swelling his team-leading total to 23 on the season, while adding two assists. Derin Vacca (Wake Forest, N.C.) chipped in two goals and a game-high four assists, as Brett Yusiewicz (Chapel Hill, N.C.) added three helpers. Vacca, Ryan Sparks (Hilton Head, S.C.), and Jeff White (Middle Township, N.J.) each tallied four ground balls, while Ryan Harrison (Lake Mary, Fla.) made 24 saves between the pipes for the Bobcats.

Will Diamond and Jack Dever both tallied four goals to lead the way for Rollins, as Diamond, Stephen DeFlumeri, and James Libutti each chipped in two assists. Andrew Post and Chuck Magid added five and four ground balls, respectively, while Diamond, Dever, and DeFlumeri each scooped three balls off the turf. Andrew Sheerin recorded 10 saves in goal for the Tars.

Rollins got on the board first at the 8:27 mark of the opening quarter, taking an early 1-0 lead on a strike by Billy Pray off an assist by Diamond. Ives answered for the Bobcats just over two minutes later, evening the tally after being fed by Yusiewicz.

After Dever and Diamond countered with a pair of strikes to give Rollins a 3-1 lead, Vacca found the back of the net with 2:18 left in the first quarter to trim the margin to 3-2 heading into the second period. Rollins answered with a 4-1 run to open the second, stretching the margin to 7-3 lead on a DeFlumeri strike with 5:04 remaining on the clock.

The Bobcats countered with a pair of goals, cutting the lead to 7-5 with a Vacca strike and a nifty goal by Shingleton at the 1:05 mark, as the senior attackman took a pass from Vacca and flipped a shot between his legs and into the back of the net. Ross answered for the Tars just before the intermission, sending Rollins into halftime with an 8-5 advantage.

After Dever pushed the Rollins lead to 9-5 less than 30 seconds into the second half, Lees-McRae answered with four straight goals, evening the tally on back-to-back strikes by Ives to knot the score at 9-9 with 5:26 to go in the third quarter. Dever responded with an even-strength strike to give Rollins a 10-9 before Ives answered, scoring his fourth and fifth goals of the afternoon to put the Bobcats in front for the first time in the game.

Diamond evened the tally with his second strike of the day to open the fourth quarter, knotting the score at 11-11 with the Tars down a man. After Ives answered with his sixth tally of the afternoon less than two minutes later, Dever and Diamond regained the lead for the Tars at 13-12 with 8:46 to play.

Ives responded with his seventh strike of the day on the man advantage at the 4:51 mark, knotting the tally at 13-13 and sending the game into overtime. Rollins struck first in the extra period, snatching victory off the stick of Diamond with 2:33 remaining on the clock to seal the 14-13 decision.

Lees-McRae returns to action on Wednesday, March 21 when the Bobcats travel to Belmont, N.C. to resume their Conference Carolinas schedule with a 4 p.m. matchup against Belmont Abbey College.

- LMC -