Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet with yet another English member of the Bobcat Team, sophomore goalkeeper Tom Courtney of Newcastle, England.
1. What made you decide to come to
While I was in England and speaking with Coach Whalley, he made the place seem really appealing. Getting the chance to work closely with someone like Calvin Dixon was also a big draw.
2. How long have you been playing soccer? Since I could walk I was kicking a ball.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? Personally I want to start the majority of the games this season! But as a team I want to win the Conference Carolinas and get top 25 in the nation.
4. What's your favorite soccer memory here at Lees-McRae
Every day,whether training or competing in a match, creates new, great memories.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your
In terms of who I aspire to be it is Peter Schmeicail.
6. If you weren't playing soccer, what other sport would you play? Either Rugby, cricket or boxing! I boxed for two years back home in Newcastle and loved every minute of it! I also represented my county at rugby, but none compare to soccer!
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? Physical education; I want to teach.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I'd watch Newcastle Life in the Fairs Cup in 1969!
9. What is your favorite book? FHM is as close as I get to reading!
10. What is your favorite food? Curry from Kahns Indian Restraunt on Heaton Road! It's proper Lush!
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I'd go back to Newcastle.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Determined
Tom's Story … I come from the greatest city in the world - Newcastle Upon Tyne in England! I was playing in the Northern League for the world famous Peterlee Newtown when Coach Whalley came to watch me. Everything else happened from there.