The Lees-McRae Bobcats tennis team defeated Carolinas-Virginia Athletic Conference foe Coker College Monday afternoon, 5-4. The Bobcats improve their record to 12-8, (5-4 CVAC).
The Bobcats took the early 2-1 lead, wining number one and two doubles matches. Freshman Shean Sumner had his nine game personal winning streak snapped, falling 4-6 5-7 to Cobras senior Duncan Grew in number one singles action. Alek Mojski and Ricardo Velazquez responded for the Bobcats with wins to push the score to 4-2. Needing one win over the final three matches, Blair Propert, (pictured top left), defeated Tyson Thompson to secure the Bobcats third consecutive win.
The Bobcats will be back in action this weekend facing Mount Olive College in first round action of the CVAC Tournament. This year's tournament will be hosted by Erskine College April 20-22.
1. Sumner/Velazquez def. Schroeder/Teran 8-3 LMC
2. Mojski/Teague def. Grew/Yager 8-6 LMC
3. Morton/Thompson def. Propert/Whiteley 8-5 CC
1. Duncan Grew def. Shean Sumner 6-4, 7-5 CC
2. Alek Mojski def. Tim Morton 7-6, 6-2 LMC
3. Ricardo Velazquez def. Esteban Teran 6-3, 6-2 LMC
4. James Schroeder def. Romulus Teague 6-3, 6-3 CC
5. Blair Propert def. Tyson Thompson 6-2, 6-1 LMC
6. Dustin Yager def. Charley Whiteley 6-1, 6-4 CC