Banner Elk, NC--As we continue our Up Close series we meet Blair Propert. This sophomore comes from the other side of the world, Gold Coast, Australia to be exact. Join us as we get to know him better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I decided to come to Lees-McRae because of the location and because of the tennis team.
2. How long have you been playing tennis? I started playing tennis at the age of 16 and have been playing ever since.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My personal goals for this season are to improve as a player both mentally and physically as well as contribute to the team as much as possible.
4. What's your favorite Bobcat memory here at Lees-McRae so far? There have been many awesome memories while I've been here however I would have to say winning against Erskine in the conference tournament last season has been the highlight so far.
5. Who has been the most influential person in your athletic career? The most influential person in my athletic career so far would have to be Glenn Hamilton (my coach in Australia).
6. If you weren't playing tennis, what other sport would you play? I would be either swimming or playing volleyball.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is sports management, and I would like to work in the Olympics either for a team or on the IOC.
8. What is your favorite part of being on the tennis team at Lees-McRae? My favorite part is the team itself. The guys and Coach Goode are what makes the team.
9. What is your favorite book? My favorite book is The Tomorrow Series.
10. If you could play in any of the Grand Slams (Australian, French, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) which one would you choose and why? I would choose the Australian Open as this is my home Grand Slam and my family would be able to come and support me.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would like to visit New Caledonia because of the diving and beaches.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? One word that describes me would be outgoing. The reason for this is because I talk a lot and I like meeting new people.
Blair's Story … My name is Blair Propert. I am the youngest of two children of Mark and Sue Propert. I was born in New Zealand although I have lived my life on islands throughout the Pacific Ocean. I have been associated with small schools and colleges my whole life which is why Lees-McRae was an easy choice to make. I always knew from the age of 15 that I wanted to be a part of a college sports team. How I ended up at Lees-McRae was based upon tennis. I contacted Paul Goode regarding playing and from speaking to him and finding out that the college offered sports management as a degree everything just seemed to fit. Coach Goode is the main reason I ended up at Lees-McRae because I knew he would bring out my best tennis.