Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet a freshman member of the Lees-McRae men's tennis team as we continue our series of Up Close & Personal interviews. Michael Ridenhour comes to Banner Elk from Mooresville, NC where he attended Mooresville Senior High and received the Tennis MVP Award along with being named to the All Conference Team.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I decided to come to Lees-McRae because the tennis team fit my style and the program was very interesting.
2. How long have you been playing tennis? I have been playing tennis since I was 12 years old.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to have a high winning percentage and make an impact on the team.
4. What's your favorite tennis memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite memory so far was playing in the individual conference tournament in Sumter, South Carolina.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My family being there to support me and drive me to be the best.
6. If you weren't playing tennis, what other sport would you play? I would play college basketball.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is Sports Management, and I plan on using my major to help me to coach.
8. What is your favorite part of being on the tennis team at Lees-McRae? My favorite part is being with the team on and off the court
9. What is your favorite book? The Bible
10. If you could play in any of the Grand Slams (Australian, French, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) which one would you choose and why? Wimbledon, I think it's the best one.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would go back to Brazil.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Spontaneous, I'm willing to try anything once, and if it's fun I'll do it again.
Michael's Story … My name is Michael Ridenhour. I'm the youngest son of Mark Ridenhour and Susan Austin. I have an older brother who plays basketball for UNC-Asheville. I'm from a small town called Mooresville, North Carolina. Throughout high school I played basketball and tennis. I've always been very active in sports and love the competition it brings. Also, and sports teams can become like families and that was a major part in my deciding to come to Lees-Mcrae. Hopefully, I can use my tennis scholarship to get me a great education and become a sports coach someday for some team and make an impact on people's lives just as my coaches have made on mine.