Up Close & Personal with Nandor Solymosi
Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet up with freshman Nandor Solymosi of Drebecen, Hungary who is currently playing #1 singles for the Bobcats. Solymosi's record stands at 7-4 overall with three of his losses coming at the hands of nationally ranked teams. Join us as we get to know him.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I decided to come to Lees-McRae because my desire was to study in the US and play college tennis.
2. How long have you been playing tennis? I started playing tennis with the age of 11.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to win all my matches and win the conference with the team. Moreover, I want to be ranked nationally. I want to beat Paul Goode end of the season.
4. What's your favorite tennis memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite memory at LMC this year so far was beating UNC-Asheville.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? The most influential person on my athletic career would have to be my best friend and my coach Sandor Buglyo. Moreover, I have to thank my parents a lot because they made it possible for me to play tennis.
6. If you weren't playing tennis, what other sport would you play? I would be playing basketball.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I am a Sports Management major. I plan to be a coach of a college team.
8. What is your favorite part of being on the tennis team at Lees-McRae? The team and the coach are just like a family. I like that a lot.
9. What is your favorite book? I like a book about cycling, It's Not About the Bike by Lance Armstrong.
10. If you could play in any of the Grand Slams (Australian, French, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) which one would you choose and why? I think I would like to play in the French Open because it is on my favorite surface, clay.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I visited many countries in Europe, and I am now in America. I think now I really would like to go to Melbourne, Australia.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Focused.
Nandor's Story … My name is Nandor Solymosi, son of Janos Solymosi and Agnes Solymosi. I am from Hungary, Debrecen. I was always very active as I was growing up and participated in a lot of sports. My two main sports were tennis and basketball. I attended Dugonics Andras Gymnasium (High School) in Hungary. I was recruited for tennis by Coach Goode. I am now a freshman. I have enjoyed my stay at LMC so far and am looking forward to the rest of my time here at Lees-McRae.