RICHMOND, Va. - The Division I UNC-Wilmington Seahawks swept the doubles point* and then took all six singles to blank the Lees-McRae College Bobcats, 7-0, Friday at the UNCW courts.
With the loss, the Bobcats now stand at 0-2.
The No. 1 double tandem of Gustavo Bertei and Ryan Ybarra set the tone early for the Seahawks by defeating Lees-McRae's Steve Karendal and Travis VanHoy, 8-1. The No. 2 team of Kinshuk Sharma and Michael Pereira then won over Lees-McRae's Shaun Sumner and Alec Molski, while Anton Nikolov and Illia Ziamtsou rolled over Nandor Solymosi and Tyler Grove.
In singles, UNCW's first five players won in straight sets before at the sixth position Grove fell short of Wetherell, 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (2), to round out the day.
The Bobcats travel to Elon Saturday for their next match at 10:00 a.m.
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (,3,5,4,1,2,6)
*Division I scoring only gives one point for doubles competition. The team that wins two doubles matches receives a point. Each singles match is still worth one point each for a total of seven possible points.
1. Gustavo Bertei/Ryan Ybarra (UNCW) def. Steve Karendal/Travis VanHoy (LMC) 8-1
2. Kinshuk Sharma/Michael Pereira (UNCW) def. Shaun Sumner/Alek Mojski (LMC) 8-5
3. Anton Nikolov/Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) def. Nandor Solymosi/Tyler Grove (LMC) 8-6
1. Gustavo Bertei (UNCW) def. Nandor Solymosi (LMC) 6-1, 6-2
2. Michael Pereira (UNCW) def. Shaun Sumner (LMC) 6-2, 6-1
3. Illia Ziamtsou (UNCW) def. Alek Mojski (LMC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Ryan Ybarra (UNCW) def. Steve Karendal (LMC) 6-2 (13-11), 7-6
5. Kinshuk Sharma (UNCW) def. Travis VanHoy (LMC) 6-1, 6-2
6. Anton Nikolov (UNCW) def. Tyler Grove (LMC) 7-5 (7-2), 3-6, 7-6
Pictured: Tyler Grove