ELON, N.C. - The Lees-McRae College men's tennis team lost to Division I Elon, 6-1*, Saturday morning. Tyler Grove notched the only win for the Bobcats with his 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-0) win at the number six singles position.
The Bobcats doubles combination of Steve Karendal and Travis
VanHoy defeated the pair of Stauffer MacDowell and Alberto Rojas,
8-5, but the point was not earned because of the Division I scoring
With the loss the Bobcats fall to 0-3 on the season.
Their next match is at Appalachian State Sunday, February 8th at 3 p.m. The match will be the team's third match in as many days.
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,1,2,6,5)
*Division I scoring only gives one point for doubles competition. The team that wins two doubles matches receives a point. Each singles match is still worth one point each for a total of seven possible points.
1. #120 Oscar Podlewski (ELON) def. Nandor Solymosi (LMC) 3-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Chase Helpingstine (ELON) def. Shaun Sumner (LMC) 4-6, 6-2, 6-1
3. Carlin Murray (ELON) def. Alek Mojski (LMC) 6-3, 6-2
4. Kevin Beard (ELON) def. Steve Karendal (LMC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-1
5. Clark Howell (ELON) def. Travis VanHoy (LMC) 6-3, 2-6, 7-2
6. Tyler Grove (LMC) def. Alex Crockford (ELON) 2-6, 6-1, 7-6 (7-0)
1. Steve Karendal/Travis VanHoy (LMC) def. C Stauffer MacDowell/Alberto Rojas (ELON) 8-5
2. Damon Gooch/Clark Howell (ELON) def. Nandor Solymosi/Tyler Grove (LMC) 8-3
3. Kevin Beard/Philip Nemec (ELON) def. Shaun Sumner/Marko Zivkovic (LMC) 8-2
Pictured: Tyler Grove