BANNER ELK, N.C. - The Lees-McRae College Bobcats men's tennis team took home a marquee win for the program with a 4-3 victory over the UNC-Asheville Bulldogs Saturday afternoon at the Lees-McRae College Indoor Tennis Facility.
Nandor Solymosi scored the first point of the match with his two set win at the number one position over Mauricio Correa, and Shawn Sumner followed with a three set win at the number two spot over Nicolal Nonnebroich.
UNC-Asheville earned their first point when Jonas Brobeck defeated Steve Karendal in two sets with each set going to the tiebreaker.
Alek Mojski gave the Bobcats a 3-1 lead with his three set win at the fourth position over Joe May.
But, the Bulldogs swept the final two matches with Nathan White and Alexander Greer to tie the match at three going into the doubles matches and position the Bobcats for the upset.
In NCAA Division I tennis the team that wins two of three doubles matches earns a single point, unlike in NCAA Division II rules where each match is worth one point.
Mojski and Karendal won at the number one spot, 8-6, and to seal the game VanHoy and Sumner won 8-4 at the number two doubles.
With the win, Lees-McRae improves to 2-4 on the season, while UNC-Asheville falls to 1-4 on the year.
1) Nandor Solymosi (LMC) def. Mauricio Correa (UNC-A) 7-6 (10-6), 6-3
2) Shawn Sumner (LMC) def. Nicolai Nonnebroich (UNC-A) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
3) Jonas Brobeck (UNC-A) def. Steve Karendal (LMC) 7-6 (10-4), 7-6 (10-3)
4) Alek Mojski (LMC) def. Joe May (UNC-A) 4-6, 6-1, 7-6 (10-2)
5) Nathan White (UNC-A) def. Travis VanHoy (LMC) 7-5, 6-4
6) Alexander Greer (UNC-A) def. Marko Zivkovic (LMC) 6-4, 6-2
1) Mojski/Karendal (LMC) def. Correa/Brobeck (UNC-A) 8-6
2) VanHoy/Sumner (LMC) def. May/Nonnebroich (UNC-A) 8-4
3) Solymosi/Battle (LMC) leading Greer/White (UNC-A) 6-3
Pictured: Nandor Solymosi