VanHoy Delivers: Bobcats Top Saints 6-3
BANNER ELK, N.C. - The No. 39 Lees-McRae College men's tennis team has clinched at least a share of the regular season Conference Carolinas title with a 6-3 win over the No. 31 Limestone College Saints Tuesday afternoon.
The Bobcats jumped out to an early 2-1 lead when the doubles combination of Shawn Sumner and Travis VanHoy earned a point at two doubles, and Nandor Solymosi and Tyler Grove earned a point at three doubles.
Alek Mojski gave the Bobcats a 3-1 lead with his come from behind win at his two singles position. Mojski fell behind with a 2-6 first set loss but rallied to win the second and third sets 6-4, 6-4.
Thomas Olliver and Lopez Zuniga tied the match at three for the Saints with their wins at one singles and three singles respectively.
Grove quickly earned his point at number five singles with a straight set, 6-1, 6-1 win to put the Bobcats one step closer to the win.
VanHoy took an early 6-3 lead at his fourth position, but when the rains came VanHoy fell in the second set 4-6. When the match went indoors, VanHoy took advantage of the crowd and clinched the match with a 6-3 set three win.
Steve Karendal added the finishing touches with a three set win at his sixth position to give the Bobcats a 6-3 win.
With the win, the Bobcats improve to 12-5 overall and 7-0 in the conference, while the Saints fall to 5-4 overall and 1-2 in the conference.
"The guys earned this," said head coach Paul Goode. "I feel like they have outworked every team in the conference, and I am so proud of them and their performance today and throughout the season."
The Bobcats were scheduled to play their final conference match of the season against Pfeiffer, Wednesday, but with impending inclement weather the match has been postponed. A make-up date has not yet been announced. With a win over Pfeiffer, the Bobcats will secure the conference regular season title for themselves.
1. Thomas Ollivier/Phillippe Hogan (LC) defeats Steve Karendal/Alek Mojski (LMC), 8-1
2. Shawn Sumner/Travis VanHoy (LMC) defeats Christian Warnholtz/Henrik Nordquist (LC), 7-2
3. Nandor Solymosi/Tyler Grove (LMC) defeats Paulo Avila/Lopez Zuniga (LC), 9-8 (7-4)
1. Thomas Ollivier (LC) defeats Nandor Solymosi (LMC), 7-5, 6-2
2. Alek Mojski (LMC) defeats Phillippe Hogan (LC), 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Lopez Zuniga (LC) defeats Shawn Sumner (LMC), 6-3, 6-4
4. Travis VanHoy (LMC) defeats set Henrik Nordquist (LC), 6-3, 4-6, 6-3
5. Tyler Grove (LMC) defeats Paulo Avila (LC), 6-2, 6-1
6. Steve Karendal (LMC) defeats Christian Warnholtz (LC), 6-1, 4-6, 6-2
Pictured: Travis VanHoy