BELMONT, N.C. --- The No. 23 Lees-McRae College men's tennis team opened its season in sweeping fashion on Friday afternoon, recording a 9-0 win over Belmont Abbey College in Conference Carolinas play.
Alexander Hayes (Mexico City, Mexico) and Skyler Warren (Asheville, N.C.) tallied the first Bobcat point of the afternoon in the opening doubles match, defeating Damien Nelson (Atlanta, Ga.) and Rob Franer by a score of 8-1 before Houston Callaway (Thurmond, N.C.) and Graham Battle (Boone, N.C.) knocked off Trey Ennis and Mario Nunez by an identical 8-1 margin. Travis Van Hoy (Olin, N.C.) and Pedro de Sousa Nunes (Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil) won the third doubles match by default to give LMC a 3-0 lead.
Nunes opened singles play with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Nelson before Jacob Darling (Katikati, New Zealand) registered a 6-1, 6-0 decision against Ennis to ensure a Bobcat victory. Callum Loveridge (Ashbourne, England) and Marcelo Tatai (Sao Paulo, Brazil) each recorded 6-0, 6-0 victories over Nunez and Franer, as Warren and Callaway won the final two matchups of the day by default.
Lees-McRae returns to the court on Sunday when the Bobcats make the short trip to Boone, N.C. to take on NCAA Division I Appalachian State University in a 4 p.m. matchup.
- LMC -
Lees-McRae 9, Belmont Abbey 0
1. Pedro de Sousa Nunes (LMC) def. Damien Nelson (BAC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Jacob Darling (LMC) def. Trey Ennis (BAC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Callum Loveridge (LMC) def. Mario Nunez (BAC) 6-0, 6-0
4. Marcelo Tatai (LMC) def. Rob Franer (BAC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Skylar Warren (LMC) won by default
6. Houston Callaway (LMC) won by default
1. Alexander Hayes/ Warren (LMC) def. Nelson/Franer (BAC) 8-1
2. Callaway/Graham Battle (LMC) def. Ennis/Nunez 8-1
3. Travis Van Hoy/Nunes (LMC) won by default