BOONE, N.C. --- The Appalachian State University men's tennis team defeated No. 23 Lees-McRae College by a score of 7-0 on Sunday evening in non-conference action.
Appalachian State picked up the point in doubles competition, as Alain Humblet (Montreal, Canada) and Philip Kloc (Melbourne, Australia) defeated Alexander Hayes (Mexico City, Mexico) and Skylar Warren (Asheville, N.C.) by a score of 8-4, while Alex Markov (Pernik, Bulgaria) and Sebastien King (Montreal, Canada) knocked off Nandor Solymosi (Drebecen, Hungary) and Callum Loveridge (Ashbourne, England) by a tally of 8-3.
Lees-McRae won the third doubles matchup, as Travis VanHoy (Olin, N.C.) and Pedro de Sousa Nunes (Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil) edged Andrew McKinnon (Mooresville, N.C.) and Ezekiel Sansing (Memphis, Tenn.) by a score of 8-6.
Markov secured App State's second point of the day in the first singles matchup, emerging victorious from a tough battle with Solymosi by scores of 6-4, 6-2. Humblet defeated VanHoy 6-2, 6-2 in the second singles match, while Kloc won his tilt against Hayes, 6-2, 6-2. King then edged Nunes 7-5, 6-2 to record the deciding point, as McKinnon defeated Graham Battle (Boone, N.C.) 6-0, 6-3 in the fifth singles matchup. Matt Saltsgaver (Winter Park, Fla.) also defeated Jacob Darling (Katikati, New Zealand) 6-3, 6-2 in the final singles tilt of the day.
Lees-McRae returns to the court on Wednesday when the Bobcats travel to Boiling Springs, N.C. to take on NCAA Division I Gardner Webb University at 2:30 p.m.
- LMC -
Appalachian State 7, Lees-McRae 0
1. Alex Markov (ASU) def. Nandor Solymosi (LMC) 6-4, 6-2
2. Alain Humblet (ASU) def. Travis VanHoy (LMC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Philip Kloc (ASU) def. Alexander Hayes (LMC) 6-2, 6-2
4. Sebastien King (ASU) def. Pedro de Sousa Nunes (LMC) 7-5, 6-2
5. Andrew McKinnon (ASU) def. Graham Battle (LMC) 6-0, 6-3
6. Matt Saltsgaver (ASU) def. Jacob Darling (LMC) 6-3, 6-2
1. Humblet/ Kloc (ASU) def. Hayes/Skylar Warren (LMC) 8-4
2. Markov/ King (ASU) def. Solymosi/Callum Loveridge (LMC) 8-3
3. VanHoy/ Nunes (LMC) def. McKinnon/ Sansing (ASU) 8-6