BOILING SPRINGS, N.C. --- The Gardner-Webb University men's tennis team earned four points in singles play en route to a 5-2 win over Lees-McRae College on Wednesday afternoon at the Webb Tennis Complex.
Gardner-Webb (4-5) claimed an early advantage in doubles play, sweeping each of the three paired matches to earn the doubles point and a 1-0 lead. Nandor Solymosi (Drebecen, Hungary) pulled the Bobcats (1-2) even at 1-1 in the first singles match, defeating Julien Belair (Brossard, Quebec, Canada) 6-4, 6-2 for his first win of the season.
After Korhan Ates (Istanbul, Turkey) defeated Travis VanHoy (Olin, N.C.) 6-1, 6-4 in the second singles pairing, Alexander Hayes (Mexico City, Mexico) leveled the score at 2-2 for the Bobcats with a 6-4, 3-6, 10-8 marathon win over Adam Knutsson-Sunblad (Goteborg, Sweden).
Andrew Veeder (Brevard, N.C.) answered for the Runnin' Bulldogs in the fourth singles matchup, defeating Pedro de Sousa Nunes (Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil) 6-2, 6-2, giving Gardner-Webb a 3-2 lead before Roman Piftor (Tashkent, Uzbekistan) knocked off Graham Battle (Boone, N.C.) 6-1, 6-0 in the fifth pairing. Matthew Parker (Marietta, Ga.) then defeated Jacob Darling (Katikati, New Zealand) 6-2, 6-3 in the sixth and final singles pairing to secure the 5-2 win for the Runnin' Bulldogs.
Lees-McRae returns to the court on Saturday when the Bobcats travel to Davidson, N.C. to take on NCAA Division I Davidson College in a 9 a.m. matchup.
- LMC -
Gardner-Webb 5, Lees-McRae 2
1. Andrew Veeder/Andrew Carter (GWU) def. Alexander Hayes/Sylar Warren (LMC) 8-2
2. Korhan Ates/Roman Piftor (GWU) def. Travis VanHoy/Pedro de Sousa Nunes (LMC) 8-5
3. Adam Knutsson-Sundblad/Julien Belair (GWU) def. Graham Battle/Callum Loveridge (LMC) 8-6
1. Nandor Solymosi (LMC) def. Julien Belair (GWU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Korhan Ates (GWU) def. Travis VanHoy (LMC) 6-1, 6-4
3. Alexander Hayes (LMC) def. Adam Knutsson-Sundblad (GWU) 6-4, 3-6, 10-8
4. Andrew Veeder (GWU) def. Pedro de Sousa Nunes (LMC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Roman Piftor (GWU) def. Graham Battle (LMC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Matthew Parker (GWU) def. Jacob Darling (LMC) 6-2, 6-3