JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. --- The No. 23 Lees-McRae College men's tennis team swept Carson-Newman College in non-conference action on Wednesday afternoon.
Lees-McRae's (3-4) Alexander Hayes (Mexico City, Mexico) and Skylar Warren (Asheville, N.C.) opened doubles play with an 8-3 win over Trent Slagle (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Dusty Davis, as Pedro De Sousa Nunes (Florianopolis, Santa Catarina, Brazil) and Travis VanHoy (Olin, N.C.) registered an 8-4 victory over Paul Birdsong (Woodstock, Ga.) and Matthew White (Powder Springs, Ga.) in the second flight. Nandor Solymosi (Drebecen, Hungary) and Callum Loveridge (Ashbourne, England) then knocked off Chris Acker (Knoxville, Tenn.) and Derek Holdway (Woodstock, Ga.) by an 8-5 margin in the third flight.
Solymosi kicked off singles play with a 6-4, 6-0 win over Slagle, extending the Bobcat advantage to 4-0. VanHoy delivered the deciding point in the second flight, defeating Davis 6-2, 6-1 before Hayes knocked off Holdway 6-2, 6-0 in the third matchup. Nunes did not surrender a game in the fourth flight, defeating Acker 6-0, 6-0, as Jacob Darling (Katikati, New Zealand) earned a hard-fought 7-5, 6-3 victory over Birdsong in the fifth matchup. Loveridge then capped the sweep with a 7-6, 6-1 win over Dalton Moore (Gate City, Va.).
Lees-McRae returns to action on Saturday when the Bobcats host Lincoln Memorial University in a non-conference matchup. Play is slated to begin at 1 p.m.
- LMC -
Lees-McRae 9, Carson-Newman 0
1. Nandor Solymosi (LMCM) def. Trent Slagle (CNCM) 6-4, 6-0
2. Travis VanHoy (LMCM) def. Dusty Davis (CNCM) 6-2, 6-1
3. Alexander Hayes (LMCM) def. Derek Holdway (CNCM) 6-2, 6-0
4. Pedro De Sousa Nunes (LMCM) def. Chris Acker (CNCM) 6-0, 6-0
5. Jacob Darling (LMCM) def. Paul Birdsong (CNCM) 7-5, 6-3
6. Callum Loveridge (LMCM) def. Dalton Moore (CNCM) 7-6, 6-1
1. Hayes/Skylar Warren (LMCM) def. Slagle/Davis (CNCM) 8-3
2. Nunes/VanHoy (LMCM) def. Birdsong/Matthew White (CNCM) 8-4
3. Solymosi/Loveridge (LMCM) def. Acker/Holdway (CNCM) 8-5