Today we meet up with freshman Steven Buning. The 6'4 setter comes from Cary, North Carolina where he attended Green Hope High School. Buning is an elementary physical education major at Lees-McRae College. Join us as we get to know him better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? Mainly volleyball, but that is not all. I love the mountain atmosphere, the small school setting, and the distance from home!
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to actually playing on a legitimate men's volleyball team with a coach that actually cares about the team. I have never had a real team to play on and there is no way to express my personal excitement, because now I will be playing with boys that grew up on this sport and have had much more coaching. Overall, I am just ready to start the season and see how it goes.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? My personal strength in volleyball lies in my setting ability and my outgoing personality. Every game I try to have a good attitude, and I never get really down on myself or others.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? Well this might sound a little corny but the best thing for me to do is to take a few deep breaths before the match, clear my mind, and focus on the game.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your volleyball career? This is probably not what you are looking for, but the people that have had the biggest impact on my volleyball career are all of the people who think volleyball is a girls sport and that guys cannot play. These people have had the biggest impact and are my inspiration to show them that men can play volleyball.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat volleyball team? I would say having a good support system. Being on the volleyball team gives me a group of people that I can go to with my problems, this helps me adjust to college very well.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I would love to just do better than last year! That would be a nice goal and should hopefully be reachable. That would show that all of the new incoming volleyball players are good and have the drive to play and win.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the court? The biggest mental challenge on the court would have to be that I have to be able to deal with not only my personal emotions, but all of the emotions of the other players because however they feel rubs off on me. Also, as a setter I have to be ready to deal with some negative attitude, which I think I should be able to handle alright.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My biggest role model would have to be my mom. My mom is one of the nicest people I know, always thinking of others before herself, and she is also very smart.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? My perfect afternoon would be a Saturday afternoon mid 70's with a little breeze. I could go to the pool, hang out with friends, play some volleyball, and wouldn't have to do any homework.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? If I could try something today it would be swimming with dolphins. My ex-girlfriend just went and told me how much fun it was, and I would love to try it. Ask me again later in the season and I will have a better answer, I just need some more time to think about it.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. My
favorite dessert would be ice cream!!!! I love ice cream, it's
cold, creamy, chocolaty, and refreshing.