BANNER ELK, N.C. – Lees-McRae College Head Men's Volleyball Coach Henry Chuang announced the signing of Nicholas Cookingham (Villa Park, Ill.) and Drew Sims (Stevenson Ranch, Calif.) on Monday afternoon. Cookingham and Sims are the first signings for Chuang and the Bobcats as the team preps for the upcoming 2019 season.
Nicholas Cookingham – 6-4 – Setter – Villa Park, Illinois
- Second Team All-State in Illinois this past season
- Led team in assists, aces, blocks to go along with 132 kills
- Unanimous All-West Suburban Gold Selection
Coach's Take - "I expect Nick to do some good things for us this coming season," Chuang said of Cookingham. "He played at a high level this past year and had successes with his club team. He has a very high ceiling and I'm eager to see how much he can develop through the course of this year."
Drew Sims – 6-4 – Middle Blocker/Right Side – Stevenson Ranch, California
- Bronze in Open division at Junior National Championships his senior year
- First team All-League his senior year; led West Ranch HS to its best season during his senior year with 30 wins and a league championship
- Head coach of the freshman team in 2017 at West Ranch HS, Head coach of JV team in 2018 at West Ranch HS, Assistant coach at the varsity level in 2017 and 2018 and Coaching top SMBC 16's club team, which is a contender in the Open division of the Junior National Championships next month.
Coach's Take - "I´m looking for Drew to be one of the mature leaders of the team this year," Chuang said. "He had a lot of success in his club career and has spent the past couple years coaching both at the high school and club level as a head coach. He has a very high Volleyball IQ and will have a very positive impact on the team."