As we continue our series of Up Close interviews we meet up with freshman Connor Gray. The native of Christianburg, Virginia attended Christianburg High School where he was named both All District and All Region in cross country. Gray is pursuing a degree in Biology at Lees-McRae. Join us as we get to know him.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? The biggest factors in my decision to come to LMC were the offer that coach McPhail gave to come run and the fact that the campus setting is so perfect.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am excited about getting the chance to meet new people, courses and experience college running.
3. Tell us about the toughest race you ever competed in and what made it so tough. My toughest race was the state championship my junior year. It was about 40 degrees, windy, muddy, VERY MUDDY. This was my first time in the state championship and the pressure got and elements got to me, and I ran the worst race of my life.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for your cross country races? I eat four hours before my race and get lots of rest the day before the race. Then I do a 45 minute warm-up routine.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your running career? My high school coach had the biggest impact on my career by far. He taught me so, so much.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat cross country team? My favorite part is getting the chance to compete on the college level.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I want the men's team make it to the national championships as a team. For myself, I want to break 28 in an 8k race.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face in running? My biggest challenge I face in running is running by myself and being able to push without someone there.
9. Where is your favorite place to run and why? My favorite to place run is at this pond in Giles County on the trails they have through the woods around the pond.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? My idea of a perfect afternoon is hanging by the pool with friends.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try to be a competitive swimmer because I love swimming and am pretty good at it.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. My
favorite dessert is cake batter ice cream with brownies, hot fudge,
and sprinkles, AKA birthday cake remix at Cold Stone Creamery.