Up Close & Personal with Ashley Benfield
Today we begin our series of Up Close & Personal interviews with the Lees-McRae women's softball team. Up first is freshman Ashley Benfield who will play outfield/third base for the Lady Bobcats. The Taylorsville, North Carolina native attended Alexander Central High School where she was a three year letterman in softball. In the classroom she is pursuing a degree in elementary education. Join us as we get to know her up close and personal.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae
College? I came because of the softball program.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to making new friends, working hard, and winning softball games!
3. What do you do to prepare yourself for all those doubleheader games? I will prepare by working hard in practice and approaching every game as a new competition. I will work out and run to stay in my best shape and practice hard 110% of the time to better my softball skills.
4. Who has had the biggest impact on your softball career? My family has had the biggest impact by allowing me to play traveling softball and spending their time and money to support me. Also, my coaches have had an impact for being patient and working hard to prepare me for college softball.
5. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat softball team? It is a new experience for me where I will be able to continue my softball career. I look forward to learning to work together with new coaches and teammates.
6. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My mother…She has always pushed me to do my best and has always supported me no matter what. She has never let anything get in the way of my dream to play college softball; SHE IS A TRUE TEAM PLAYER!
7. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? I would say taking a hot bath after a big win knowing that the aches and bruises were battle scars!
8. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would like to try to snowboard. I have taken up wakeboarding on my local lake, and it's just not working out so great. "They say you can either wakeboard or snowboard, but not both!" So maybe I will turn out to be an awesome snowboarder!
9. Describe your favorite dessert. That's
easy: Thick, creamy, New York cheesecake, smothered in sweet,
juicy, strawberries! YUuUuUM!