Up Close & Personal with Chahkia Harrison
BANNER ELK, NC--As we continue our series of Up Close articles with the women's basketball team we meet junior Chahkia Harrison. This small forward for the Lady Bobcats hails from Florida.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I felt a connection with the coaches. I like the fact that it is a small school and there is a small teacher-to-student ratio.
2. How long have you been playing basketball? I have been playing for 17 years.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to become more aggressive in rebounding and on the defensive end.
4. What's your favorite Bobcat memory here at Lees-McRae so far? Beating Anderson on their home floor is my favorite memory so far.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My Aunt Jayne has been there since day one; she is my motivation and inspiration.
6. If you weren't playing basketball, what other sport would you play? I'd play softball.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is Criminal Justice. Eventually I want to get into the forensic science department.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I want to go back to the civil rights movement and be a part of that period.
9. What is your favorite book? My favorite book is the Bible.
10. What is your favorite food? I really like anything home cooked.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would visit somewhere overseas to experience things in another culture.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Laid back.
Chahkia's Story … I went to high
school in Fort Walton Beach, FL and graduated in 2001. In June of
2002 I received a scholarship to Faulkner State Community College
in Bay Minette, AL. I then graduated with my Associates Degree in
Computer Science. In 2004 I moved to Orlando, FL and became a
supervisor at UPS. In 2007 I got in touch with my cousin that goes
to school in Lenoir, NC and he started telling me about schools in
North Carolina. I got in touch with Coach Caren Fiorillo and came
on a visit. I liked the school and atmosphere so I went back home
prayed about it. After that everything fell into place.