Banner Elk, NC--As we continue our Up Close series we meet up with junior guard Kayla Blevins. Blevins comes to Banner Elk from nearby Roan Mountain, TN where she played at Cloudland High School.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? The reason I chose LMC is the fact that my family is only 30 minutes away, and I love the atmosphere here at this school.
2. How long have you been playing basketball? I have played basketball for eight years. I began in seventh grade and have done so ever since.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My personal goal for this season is to contribute assists and rebounds to my team.
4. What's your favorite basketball memory here at Lees-McRae so far? Meeting and developing close friendships with all of my teammates is an ongoing memory for me.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? I would have to say the most influential person to my athletic career is my very first basketball coach, Mike Lunsford. He pushed me above and beyond what I thought I could ever accomplish.
6. If you weren't playing basketball, what other sport would you play? I would definitely be playing softball.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I am majoring in Criminal Justice with a minor in Biology and Foreign Languages. With these degrees I plan to enter into the military and do investigative work for them. After I have finished with the military I plan to go into Law Enforcement.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I am such an enormous history buff , specifically wars interest me, so I would love to go back to any major war in history.
9. What is your favorite book? I love any book by the authors Laurell K. Hamilton or Kristen Britain.
10. What is your favorite food? My favorite food is any fruit and Italian.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? That is a hard one. I want to travel the world so I cannot choose just one specific place. Well, right now I want to go to Okinawa, Japan.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Passionate...in every aspect of my life I give a 110%. Everything I do is full of passion and with that I never give up or give in.
Kayla's Story … I am from a small town called Roan Mountain, TN. In this town everyone knows everyone (and you're most likely related somehow). My family is very southern and country. You either played an instrument or dribbled a ball in my family. Seeing as how I am not very musically inclined I play sports. I began taking karate in second grade and did that till I was in seventh grade.
Once in seventh grade I was pestered by the basketball coach, Mike Lunsford, into joining the basketball team. I could not even do a layup but he worked with me, and eventually I was starting for my team. He made me develop the never-give-up or give-in attitude that I have now.
By my senior year of high school I was being recruited by numerous colleges for softball and basketball. I remember my senior year I had said I wasn't ever going to LMC because it was too close to home. But once the coach began talking to me and I visited the campus, I was drawn to this place. You all know how the story ends. I chose to attend LMC and play basketball here.