Up Close & Personal with Kayla Newman
As action begins again in 2009 we continue our Up Close series of interviews with the Lady Bobcats with freshman Kayla Newman. A 6' forward, Newman comes to Lees-McRae from Butler High School in Charlotte, N.C. where she received Most Improved, Coach's Award, All-Conference, All-District, Player of the Week, and All-Tournament team honors. Currently she is averaging eight points per game and leads the Lady Bobcats with nearly four rebounds per game. In the classroom she is pursuing a degree in history. Join us as we get to know her a bit better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? The things that impacted my decision the most were the coaching staff and the school itself.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I'm looking forward to showing and proving how much better our team is now.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? I think it lies in my determination and in my shooting.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for a game? I focus and listen to hype music.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your basketball career? Myself….I've always set out to prove my doubters wrong.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat basketball team? I would say the team itself with how fun and close everyone is.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? Personally I want to do the best I can. As a team, I want to see us have a great season…better than in the past.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the court? The biggest challenge I face is my own frustration.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My mother….She has risen to every challenge in her life and is very successful.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? In my perfect afternoon I would have no worries on my mind and would be free to do whatever I want to and to just relax.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? Acting…I would love to be an actress. I just never got into it
12. Who is your favorite WNBA player and
why? Candace Parker...I like the way she can play every
position and can share the ball.