Banner Elk, NC--As we continue our Up Close series of interviews we meet up with another senior from the Lady Bobcat squad. Olivia Maurey, a native of Port Orange, FL, is is beginning her second year of playing lacrosse and will play goalie. Maurey also competes on the Lees-McRae cycling team in three different disciplines; road, mountain and cyclocross. Join us as we get to know her a bit better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I needed a change of scenery, and it's beautiful up here. It was a good place for my major, plus I wanted to play basketball.
2. How long have you been playing lacrosse? This is my second year.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? Personally I would like to step up my game a lot more. Last year was a learning experience year; this year is a performance year. Also It would be nice to have a .500 average!
4. What's your favorite lacrosse memory here at Lees-McRae so far? I'd have to say when we gave Queens a scare last year.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? Myself...no one else can make you do it.
6. If you weren't playing lacrosse, what other sport would you play? lol! Probably every other sport would be an option.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? Biology and Psychology; I would like to go on to grad school and get my Ph. D in clinical therapy/pscyhiatry. Possibly later on I might do research in neurological psychology.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? That's a tough one. First I would probably go back to the point of creation, then probably when our country was founded, and it would be cool to live in the '50s (happier times).
9. What is your favorite book? I have a number of favorites....Da Vinci Code, Tommyknockers, The Odyssey. I like to read.
10. What is your favorite food? I like salmon (or anything seafood).
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would travel to Ireland.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Determined...
Olivia's Story … I'm from Daytona Beach, FL where I grew up playing all sports imaginable, but mostly basketball. After high school, I came here to major in pre-vet and play ball. After two years of basketball I ended up switching to cycling which I have been doing for the past three years. Last year I started playing goalie for lacrosse. I'm anxious to finally get my degree and move on, but I couldn't have done it without the help of my parents; I owe everything to them for supporting me through the years.