Up Close & Personal with Lauren Martin
Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet freshman Lauren Martin of Whitby, Ontario, Canada a defender for the Lady Bobcats. Join us as we get to know her a bit better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I came to Lees-McRae because I was given the opportunity to play women's lacrosse in college in the United States.
2. How long have you been playing lacrosse? I
began playing when I was a sophomore in high school.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My personal goals for this season are to make a difference coming in as a freshman and build a successful season.
4. What's your favorite lacrosse memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite lacrosse memory here so far would have to be getting to know everyone on the team through camping.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My dad has been the most influential person on my athletic career because he always pushed me so I could reach my goal of being a better player as well as a person.
6. If you weren't playing lacrosse, what other sport would you play? I'd probably still be playing ringette if it wasn't for lacrosse.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is Health and Physical Education, and I plan to one day be a physical education teacher in a high school.
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? If I could, I would travel back to the Renaissance Period because alot of things were changing. It would have been great to experience that time period.
9. What is your favorite book? My favorite book is To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee.
10. What is your favorite food? My favorite food would have to be any type of pasta.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? If I could visit any place in the world I would choose Australia.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? One word that would describe me would be outgoing because I tell it like it is.
Lauren's Story … I'm from Whitby, Ontario which is a city just east of Toronto in Canada. I began playing when I was a sophomore in high school because my school was beginning a program. I began playing rep lacrosse as well as provincial lacrosse going into my junior year at high school. At first, I was just playing for the fun of it; I never thought I would end up in the United States playing it. I then got offers to go to various schools throughout the US but I choose to get out of the city and move to the mountains.