Up Close & Personal with Kelly Mendsen
Today we meet up with freshman Kelly Mendsen as we continue our Up Close series. The native of Apalachin, New York, who was both a scholar-athlete and captain at Vestal Senior High School, is a defender for the Lady Bobcats. Mendsen is an elementary education major. Join us as we get to know her better.1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College?
There were several reasons why I chose Lees-McRae College. I
wanted to play lacrosse in college and study elementary education.
LMC offered both. When I visited, I liked the size of the school,
its location, and I met a lot of nice people.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to getting together as a team and winning more games.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? I think in defense; I've played that position for many years.
4. What do you do to prepare for games? I try to visualize the game and what I need to do. I also listen to my iPod.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your lacrosse career? My coaches have had the biggest impact. They have developed me into the player I am. My parents have always been very supportive!
6. What is your favorite part of being a member of the Lady Bobcat lacrosse team? The team and coach are awesome. Lacrosse keeps me busy doing something that I really love to do.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? Personally, I would like to continue to develop to be the best player that I can be for myself and for my team. I'd like to see our team continue to grow and become a conference leader.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the field? My biggest challenge is to keep positive even when I make a mistake.
9. Who has been your biggest role model in your life? How? My grandmother- I watched her battle the life-changing effects of a stroke. She was not able to do what the average person takes for granted, and she never gave up!
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? I would say spending the day at the beach with my friends.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try snowboarding or surfing. I know a lot of people that do both, and it looks like a lot of fun. I would love to join them.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. Watermelon Italian Ice