Today we meet up with freshman Cheryse Cox as we continue our Up Close series of interviews. Cox hails from Hendersonville, Tennessee and played for Henderson High School where she received MVP, All Region and All State honors her senior season. Playing at the low attack position for the Lady Bobcats, Cox has accumulated 36 goals thus far. Join us as we get to know her.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? My sister plays here, I get to play on scholarship, and it's a small school.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? Winning!
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? My stick skills are where my strength lies.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? I like the warm-up music before games. It gets me pumped.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your lacrosse career? My parents. They started me out in lacrosse when I was younger. My dad was always more into sports though. We moved two times: From New York to FL and from Florida to Tennessee. The high school we ended up at didn't have a team so my dad had to search in the area for other schools with lacrosse. We ended up going to Hendersonville but playing lacrosse at Ravenwood (35-40 minutes away). We eventually started our own team at Hendersonville. None of this would have been possible if it wasn't for my dad.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat lacrosse team? Being able to play with my sister and making some friends are the best parts.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? Personal: score a lot, at least three a game. Team: win more games, play better together and have team chemistry on the field.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the field? The way I feel after making a mistake is my biggest challenge, but I'll try and pick it up afterwards.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? I think my parents are my biggest role models because they have been through a lot and have fought hard for us to have a good life. And, having three out of four girls in college shows it. The youngest is only a sophomore in high school so she'll definitely be going to college in the future.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? Oh wow. There can be a lot but I'll just name one…being with friends, doing some exciting game or activity because I like to have fun.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try bungee jumping! It just sounds exciting and it would be fun to do it with friends.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. Chocolate
chip cookie dough ice cream, so good!