Next up for the Lady Bobcats in our series of Up Close interviews is junior Clair Shaw of Charlotte, North Carolina. Shaw plays in the low attack position for the squad and has 12 goals and three assists on the season. In the classroom Shaw is pursuing a degree in communication arts.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I came to Lees-McRae because I love being in the mountains. It gives me peace. I also came to play lacrosse.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I'm looking forward to playing with the team. Each player has their own skill that they bring on to the field.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? My strength lies with transitions and rolling the crease. I love to roll the crease.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? Haha. I listen to Bring Em Out by T.I. and Walk It Out Remix by DJ Unk. Those are my favorite warm-up songs.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your lacrosse career? The biggest impact on my lacrosse career would have to be my high school teammates because we started a girl's lacrosse team at South Meck. We were sitting at the guy's practice, and we said to each other, "We can do that. We want to play."
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat lacrosse team? The best part is going on to the field to a pre-game warm-up. It's the best rush ever. I also love hanging out with my teammates; they are a great bunch!
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I want to progress as a lacrosse player. I want to improve each game and to get better with my left hand.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the field? I get down on myself a lot on the field. If I mess up I get really, really mad and then I play bad.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? The biggest role model in my life would have to be my dad. He taught me that I could achieve anything if I worked hard for it. Even though he is no longer here, I miss him every minute of every day.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? Honestly, I love being outdoors. If it is sunny I like to go hiking and take my dog Bear to the park.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I wish I could be a race car driver. I would have worked my way up to the top. Haha. That is a dream of mine. I love to drive.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. Cheesecake
is my favorite dessert. I just love it.