We meet up with freshman Mary Gibson today as we continue our series of Up Close interviews. Gibson hails from Hendersonville, Tennessee where she played for both Pope John Paul II High School and the Harpeth Pride. She was selected First Team All County and was also captain of the squad her senior season. Gibson is majoring in athletic training at Lees-McRae.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I loved the atmospere plus what I heard about the school and soccer played a huge part in my decision.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to just being with the team and seeing how far we can get.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? I think my strength lies in my defensive skill. My speed helps as well.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? I listen to music and get focused on the game.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your soccer career? My dad by far has had the biggest impact. He has pushed me so much, and I can't thank him more.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat soccer team? My favorite part is the team and how we all push each other. We never let anyone do something alone. I love how strong we are together.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? I want to win the set amount of games and to push ourselves as far as we can go to make sure we can meet our potential.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the field? When I mess up I tend to get mad at myself, and it can throw me off for a little bit.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My mom she went through so much and still is so strong. She pushed through so much.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? On a perfect afternoon I would to be on the lake boating, wakeboarding, and just laying out .
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try white water rafting.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. Hmm.....ice cream with cookie dough