Up Close & Personal with Brooke Santerre
Today we meet up with freshman Brook Santerre of Port Republic, Md. Santerre, a midfielder/forward for the Lady Bobcats, played for both Calvert High School and SMFC Alliance prior to coming to Lees-McRae. The 2007 All Conference player has two goals on the season already. Off the field she is pursuing a pre-health degree. Join us as we get to know her a bit better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I liked the outdoorsy feel to the college, and I liked the trees and the stone buildings.. seriously. I don't like colleges with ugly trees. I also really liked how everything was within walking distance. The thing that really made up my mind though was my overnight stay with the team. Everyone at the college was so nice, and the girls from the team were really friendly and seemed cool. Coach Lopez was really persuasive and seemed to actually care about me.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I am looking forward to getting to know everyone and making new friends. Also, I am looking forward to playing soccer because I love it.
3. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? I love warming up to music.. but besides that nothing particular.
4. Who has had the biggest impact on your soccer career? My former club coach, Adam Ritchie has had the biggest impact. He rocks. He definitely taught me everything I know about soccer. He has really had a big impact on me as a person as well.
5. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? Personally, I want to always work hard to earn playing time and to remain positive no matter what gets thrown my way.
6. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the field? Sometimes I get songs stuck in my head or I get thirsty and I can't concentrate.
7. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My parents. They have six children, and they have made tremendous sacrifices for all of us. They provided me with a nice life, and I owe them a lot of thanks for that. They are the people who made me who I am. When I grow up I want to be like them.
8. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? The kind where I have nothing I HAVE to do sounds perfect. Pretty much anything makes me happy as long as it's not work or homework.
9. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I really would want to go to Africa or join the peace corp. If I could do one thing though I would want to be a roadie for Invisible Children and travel the country to spread the word about the child soldiers and genocides in Africa.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. All types of desserts sound good to me. I really like fresh fruit desserts though.