Up Close & Personal with Latoya Jones
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I was looking for a small, Presbyterian school that I could play soccer at. It reminded me of a summer youth conference that I love called Montreat. That's when I knew it was a perfect fit.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I would have to say gaining so many new sisters. I love how every team is like one giant family. It's one of the reasons why I love playing soccer so much.
3. In which part of the game does your strength lie? My strength lies in offense, because I'm fast and I have the drive to score.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for matches? I usually try not to spend too much of the day thinking about it or I end up worrying myself sick. When it gets down to a few hours before the match I watch soccer videos on U-tube and watch one of the WNT's past games. Then on the bus ride to the game I listen to some calming music on my iPod.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your soccer career? That would be Flick my high school soccer coach. He saw enough potential in me to choose me for varsity my freshman year. I feel like whenever I play a game that I should always give it 118% because I know he wouldn't settle for less or take "I can't" for an answer. I don't think he realizes how much he's impacted me, but I wouldn't be where I am today if he didn't have so much faith in me all these years.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat soccer team? My favorite part is knowing that whether we win or lose that we're still a team in the end and that we're always going to be there for each other.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? Personal: To become better, faster and stronger and to be able to bend a ball like Beckham. Team: To have a better record than last year and to be close as a team.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face on the field? The biggest mental challenge I face I on the field would be not letting my nervousness get the best of me during a game and get really freaked out. It's mostly bad in front of big audiences.
9. Who has been the biggest role model in your life? How? My mom wins that hands down. She's a single mom raising four kids (two of which are disabled). She's an unbelievable person who is so strong in her faith. I hope someday that I can be as good a parent as she is.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? My idea of a perfect afternoon is playing soccer and ultimate frisbee with friends at the beach and then going out for lunch in the park afterwards.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try downhill cycling. It's like bmx but better; there's just something cool about riding down a mountain at 40 mph speeds.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. Luigi's
Italian Ice (Lemon Flavor) with sour skittles on top.