Up Close & Personal with Ashley Mayers
Banner Elk, NC--As we continue our series of Up Close articles we meet up with sophomore Ashley Mayers. Mayers hails from Miami, FL where she attended Westminster Christian. Join us as we get to know her a bit better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I decided to come to LMC because I have been coming up to the mountains my whole life, and I love being up here. I also decided to come here because it gave me a chance to continue playing sports.
2. How long have you been playing tennis? I have been playing tennis since I was around six years old, but I played on and off because I also played soccer. I did not get really serious about playing until around 10th grade when I decided I would focus more on tennis then soccer.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My personal goal for the season is just to continue to work hard and get better at playing tennis. I want to compete better than I did last year and have a better record this year.
4. What's your favorite Bobcat memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite sports memory here at LMC was my first year here, when we were at our first conference tournament. We were at Barton and had to travel to different sites to play. We were in the van traveling to this one site and made a wrong turn. We end up going down some road in the middle of nowhere into the middle of the country. We had no idea that we were going the totally wrong direction! So, we were looking for this school to turn into, and we would be like, "There's a school," then, "That's not it!" Around 20 minutes later we stopped and called the director for the tournament for clarification on the directions. We ended up turning around and going back 20 minutes the other way. We got to the site 20 minutes after our match was supposed to start and got lucky because they were so backed up with other matches that they could not play us yet. Fortunately we didn't have to forfeit the match.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? The most influential people in my athletic career are my parents and my college coach. My parents have been influential to me in my career because they have always supported me in the different sports that I have played. They would always practice with me and continue to practice with me now in tennis when I am home. My coach has been influential to my athletic career because he always pushes me to the limits and never let me quit even when I want to quit. He helped me turn my life around and become a healthier person than what I used to be. I am eternally grateful to him for that. He has taught me so much since I started taking lessons from him around four years ago and I continue to learn from him everyday.
6. If you weren't playing tennis, what other sport would you play? If I was not playing tennis, then I would be playing soccer because I have been playing soccer my whole life.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is Psychology, and I plan to go to grad school after I finish my undergrad here. I plan to go into Developmental Psychology and work with children.
8. What is your favorite part of being on the tennis team at Lees-McRae? My favorite part of being on the team is just hanging out with the people on the team because they are all awesome and fun to hang around with.
9. What is your favorite book? I don't really have a favorite book. I mostly read books that are mysteries or about animals in particular.
10. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? The one place that I would love to visit would be Scotland. I did a report on it in 5th grade and found it very interesting and have wanted to go there since then.
11. What is one word that describes you and why? One word that describes me is driven. I strive to do the best that I can and give it everything that I have whether that be in sports or academics.
Ashley's Story … My name is Ashley Mayers. I am from Miami, Fl. I have one brother who is a senior and a sister that is a sophomore in high school. I have played a variety of sports my whole life but the two main sports that I have played are soccer and tennis. I'm a very active person and would rather be outdoors or playing sports than inside.
I ended up at LMC because of my college tennis coach. I have been taking lessons from him for around four years now and my senior year in high school he became the coach here at LMC. I came up for a trip to look at another school in October of my senior year, and he told me that I should go look at LMC and that I could play tennis here. After he called and set up a tour for me I came and looked at the school. I found that I liked the atomosphere of the school. I also knew that by coming here that there would be smaller class sizes. I liked that because I came from a small high school. I found that basically all the things that I was looking for at the other school I could get here; it was just a matter of playing tennis or maybe walking on at the other school. I decided that I would rather play a sport than maybe play and chose to come here.