Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet up with sophomore Cameron Joyce who hails from Lenoir, NC. Joyce plays a vital role in the team's chemistry both on and off the court. In addition, this spring she has a record of 5-3 with two of the losses coming a the hands of Division I players. Join us as we get to know her better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? When I came up to look at the campus for the first time I absolutely fell in love. As soon as I saw how close everyone was I knew I had to be up here.
2. How long have you been playing tennis? I have been playing tennis for about 11 years.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? My goals for this season are to become an overall better player and improve my spot in the conference.
4. What's your favorite tennis memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite memory playing here at LMC was when we traveled to Florida last year. We had some very tough competition and in my hardest match I ended up coming out with a win.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? The most influential person in my athletic career has to go out to two people: my mom and my dad. With out them I wouldn't be anywhere where I am today. They've come to every possible sporting event I've ever had.
6. If you weren't playing tennis, what other sport would you play? I would be playing soccer.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? My major is Communication Arts. I hope to one day become a sports broadcaster.
8. What is your favorite part of being on the tennis team at Lees-McRae? We always have so much fun when we're together. Both the men's and the women's teams are extremely close and that makes me really feel like I'm part of a team.
9. What is your favorite book? The Bible
10. If you could play in any of the Grand Slams (Australian, French, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) which one would you choose and why? Wimbledon. When I was younger that was the first tournament I ever watched on T.V. and it's always been one of my dreams to play there.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would like to visit Capri, Italy. I went when I graduated high school, but it's the most amazing place on the earth, and I can't wait to go back!
12 What is one word that describes you and why? I think one word that describes me is ostentatious. I would say that because I love meeting new people and getting out there and seeing what I can do to make a difference in the world. New experiences are some of the most exciting things that could ever happen to me!
Cameron's Story … My name is Cameron Joyce. My parents are Jeff and Julie Joyce. I have two older brothers, Brent and Logan . I'm from Lenoir, North Carolina. I've been playing tennis since I was about eight years old. I was number one on the women's tennis team in high school. I went to Hibriten where I also played soccer. I was captain of my tennis and soccer team in high school.
My first year here at LMC I was also on the women's soccer team.
I first found Lees McRae when Coach Lopez saw me play an indoor
soccer game and asked me to come up for a recruiting trip. I told
her I wanted to play tennis as well as soccer. That's how I got in
touch with Coach Goode and became a part of the women's tennis team
here. So far I've had such an amazing experience here at
Lees-McRae. I can't wait for the rest of my two years here!