Up Close & Personal with Christine Vanard
Banner Elk, NC--We meet up with freshman Christine Vanard who plays #1 singles for the Lady Bobcats. The Winston-Salem native had a eight game winning streak this season, including a win over Division I Appalachian State's #1. Join us as we get to know her a bit better.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I wanted to go to a school where I could play tennis, and the size of Lees-McRae seemed right for me.
2. How long have you been playing tennis? I have been playing tennis for about six years.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to beat the girl who beat me in the Conference Tournament last semester.
4. What's your favorite Bobcat memory here at Lees-McRae so far? My favorite memory so far was competing in my first college tournament in Sumter, SC.
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My dad got me started in tennis and was my coach for my first couple years.
6. If you weren't playing tennis, what other sport would you play? I played soccer for eight years before starting tennis, so I would probably do that.
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? I am majoring in Sport Management, and one day hope to manage a tennis club or facility.
8. What is your favorite part of being on the tennis team at Lees-McRae? My game has improved already, and I've gotten stronger. I know that will continue to happen over the next four years.
9. What is your favorite book? My favorite books are the Harry Potter series.
10. If you could play in any of the Grand Slams (Australian, French, Wimbledon, U.S. Open) which one would you choose and why? I would play in the US Open because I could represent my country, and I prefer hard courts to any other surface.
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would like to visit Australia or Ireland.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? One word that describes me is understanding. I am a good listener and enjoy helping other people with any problems they might have.
Christine's Story … My name is Christine Vanard, and I am the daughter of Martha Murphy and Ron Vanard. I have a younger brother, Andrew, who is 14 and also plays tennis. I was born in Princeton, New Jersey, but moved to Winston-Salem, NC when I was five years old. I started playing tennis in 7th grade, and my first goal was to make my high school team. I played varsity all four years, finished my senior year as Conference Player of the Year, and also finished fourth in North Carolina in my last year in the juniors. I went to a big high school, and I thought classes with thirty kids were too much, so the size of Lees-McRae was perfect. I also wanted to go somewhere to play tennis, and I heard about Lees-McRae from some people I know who also play tennis here. I have had a great time so far and look forward to the remainder of my college education and tennis matches.