Lees-McRae Falls to App State, 6-1
BANNER ELK, N.C. - The Lees-McRae College Lady Bobcats women's tennis team fell, 6-1*, to the Division I Appalachian State University Lady Mountaineers Tuesday afternoon in a nonconference tennis match.
With the loss, the Lady Bobcats suffered their first loss of the season and fall to 1-1, while the Lady Mountaineers improved to 1-3 on the season.
Gabriela Celi was the only Lees-McRae player to win both her singles and doubles match. At the number one singles position Celi defeated Monica Tomas in straight sets, 6-2, 6-2. The hard-hitting Celi teamed up with the soft-handed Cameron Joyce to win their number two doubles match against Amanda Cash and Heather Prior.
"I felt like we played well today," head coach Paul Goode said. "We are making a lot of progress early in the season."
The Lady Bobcats will travel to Lincoln Memorial Sunday, February 15th for their next match.
Order of Finish: Doubles (3,2,1) Singles (6,4,1,3,5,2)
*Division I scoring only gives one point for doubles competition. The team that wins two doubles matches receives a point. Each singles match is still worth one point each for a total of seven possible points.
1) Olivia Stannard/Blakeley Bean (App State) def. Christine Vanard/Lyndsay Pegram (LMC) 9-8 (7-4)
2) Gabriela Celi/Cameron Joyce (LMC) def. Amanda Cash/Heather Prior (App State) 8-6
3) Laura Janke/Monica Tomas (App State) def. Ashley Mayers/Katie Hawkins (LMC) 8-1
1) Gabriela Celi (LMC) def. Monica Tomas (App State) 6-2, 6-2
2) Amanda Cash (App State) def. Christine Vanard (LMC) 6-2, 5-7 (10-5)
3) Blakeley Bean (App State) def. Lyndsay Pegram (LMC) 6-0, 6-3
4) Olivia Stannard (App State) def. Ashley Mayers (LMC) 6-1, 6-0
5) Laura Janke (App State) def. Cameron Joyce (LMC) 6-3, 6-1
6) Heather Prior (App State) def. Katie Hawkins (LMC) 6-0, 6-1
Pictured: Gabriela Celi