BANNER ELK, N.C. --- The Appalachian State University women's tennis team won the first seven matches of the day against Lees-McRae College en route to a 5-0 win over the Bobcats in a non-conference matchup on Tuesday afternoon.
Ellie Linsell (Southhampton, England) and Gisela Fernandez (Guadalajara, Mexico) defeated Christine Vanard (Winston-Salem, N.C.) and Maria Andrade (Middle Village, N.Y.) by a score of 9-7 in the first doubles match, while Jennifer Ansari (Greensboro, N.C.) and Kim-Lea Dinh (Maisons-Alfort, France) won their doubles contest against Lyndsay Peagram (Greensboro, N.C.) and Kelsey Hiatt (Mt. Airy, N.C.) by a score of 8-2.
Heather Prior (Raleigh, N.C.) Amie Cloer (Brevard, N.C.) defeated Raven Harris (St. Pauls, N.C.) and Renee Roberson (Salisbury, N.C.) by an 8-1 score in the third doubles match to give ASU a 1-0 lead heading into singles play. Linsell gave the Mountaineers a 4-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-0 win over Vanard and Ansari followed with a 6-0, 6-2 victory against Peagram. Fernandez then defeated Andrade 6-1, 6-1, before Dinh won her match against Hiatt by scores of 6-0 and 6-1 to close out the day.
Lees-McRae returns to the court on Tuesday, Feb. 22 when the Bobcats travel to Hartsville, S.C. to take on Coker College in Conference Carolinas play at 3 p.m.
- LMC -
1. Ellie Linsell/Gisela Fernandez def. Christine Vanard/Maria Andrade, 9-7
2. Jennifer Ansari/Kim-Lea Dinh def. Lyndsay Peagram/Kelsey Hiatt, 8-2
3. Heather Prior/Amie Cloer def. Raven Harris/Renee Roberson, 8-1
1. Linsell def. Vanard; 6-3, 6-0
2. Ansari def. Peagram; 6-0, 6-2
3. Fernandez def. Andrade; 6-1, 6-1
4. Dinh def. Hiatt; 6-0, 6-1