Eagles knock off Bobcats, 8-1Box score
JEFFERSON CITY, Tenn. --- The Carson-Newman College women's tennis team swept doubles play and won five of the six singles matchups on Wednesday afternoon en route to an 8-1 victory over Lees-McRae College in non-conference action.
Carson-Newman (3-0) opened the day with a sweep in doubles play, as Taryn Cappadona (Kennesaw, Ga.) and Stefy Stand (Ecuador) notched an 8-3 win over the Bobcats (1-4) Christine Vanard (Winston-Salem, N.C.) and Lyndsay Peagram (Greensboro, N.C.) in the first flight, while Katie Brown (Douglasville, Ga.) and Megan Wilson (Maryville, Tenn.) defeated Maria Andrade (Middle Village, N.Y.) and Kelsey Hiatt (Mt. Airy, N.C.) by an 8-2 score. Stephanie Goode (Maryville, Tenn.) and Kate Walker (Mt. Juliet, Tenn.) then recorded an 8-5 victory over Raven Harris (St. Pauls, N.C.) and Renee Roberson (Salisbury, N.C.) in the third flight.
Vanard started off singles play in strong fashion for Lees-McRae, defeating Kylie Elliot (Maryville, Tenn.) 6-1, 6-3, before Cappadona notched a 6-2, 6-2 win over Peagram in the second flight to push the Eagles' lead to 4-1. Stand followed with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Andrade to clinch the decision for Carson-Newman, as Brown defeated Hiatt 6-3, 6-3 in the fourth flight. Goode notched a 6-2, 6-0 win over Roberson at the No. 5 matchup, as Wilson closed out the day with a 6-2, 6-2 victory over Harris in the final flight.
Lees-McRae returns to action on Saturday when the Bobcats host Lincoln Memorial University in a non-conference matchup. Play is slated to begin at 1 p.m.
- LMC -
Carson-Newman 8, Lees-McRae 1
1. Christine Vanard (LMCW) def. Kylie Elliot (CNCW) 6-3, 6-1
2. Taryn Cappadona (CNCW) def. Lyndsay Peagram (LMCW) 6-2, 6-2
3. Stefz Stand (CNCW) def. Maria Andrade (LMCW) 6-1, 6-2
4. Katie Brown (CNCW) def. Kelsey Hiatt (LMCW) 6-3, 6-3
5. Stephanie Goode (CNCW) def. Renee Robeson (LMCW) 6-2, 6-0
6. Megan Wilson (CNCW) def. Raven Harris (LMCW) 6-0, 6-2
1. Cappadona/Stand (CNCW) def. Vanard/Peagram (LMCW) 8-3
2. Brown/Wilson (CNCW) def. Maria/Hiatt (LMCW) 8-3
3. Goode/Kate Walker (CNCW) def. Harris/Robeson (LMCW) 8-5