Banner Elk, NC--Today we meet up with a freshman on the squad who has made an immediate impact with over 200 kills and 14 blocks on the season already. This communication arts major hails from Connelly Springs, NC.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? A lot of things weighed in my decision to come to LMC: volleyball (of course)--close enough to come home if I'm having a bad day, but still far enough away to still feel independent--small class sizes--major.
2. How long have you been playing volleyball? I've been playing since 7th grade, so for six years.
3. What are your personal goals for this season? I'd like to be the best player I can be (earn a position) and contribute to my team with a larger goal of a winning season.
4. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My dad has. He has planted the competitive spirit in me and has pushed me and encouraged me even when I didn't think I was good enough.
5. If you weren't playing volleyball, what other sport would you play? I'd be playing basketball.
6. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? Communication Arts--I'd like to go into graphic design in advertising.
7. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I'd go back to the fifties when there were poodle skirts, drive-ins, and the streets were actually safe!
8. What is your favorite book? To Kill a Mockingbird
9. What is your favorite food? Chicken Dumplings
10. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I would like to visit Japan or New Zealand.
11. What is one word that describes you and why? Content: I'm happy with myself and don't let others influence me badly. I'm easily pleased and low-maintenance.
Whitney's Story … I am from Connelly Springs, NC., a very small town, and I love it. I come from a huge, very close family. My family are my favorite people in the world. They've made me who I am today. I've always had someone there for me, that's why college intimidates me a bit.