Up Close & Personal with Carla Swart
Banner Elk, NC--Today we continue our series of Up Close interviews with sophomore Carla Swart of Buford, GA. Swart, who finished second for the Bobcats at the Conference Carolinas meet also competes for the Bobcat cycling team where she placed third in the nation in short track this past weekend.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae? I love being in the mountains!
2. What are your personal goals for this season? I want to improve from last year and go to Nationals as a team.
3. What's your favorite Bobcat memory here at Lees-McRae so far? I'd have to say morning weight training!
4. What is your favorite part of cross country here at Lees-McRae? The team..the girls talk really funny!
5. Who has been the most influential person on your athletic career? My mom and dad have had that role in my life.
6. If you weren't a runner, what other sport would you play? I'd be on my bike!
7. What is your major and what do you plan to do with your degree? Sports Management
8. If you could travel back in time to any point in history, where would you go? I'd go back to Africa and visit my family.
9. What is your favorite band? Jack Johnson
10. What is your favorite book? Angela's Ashes
11. If you could visit any place in the world, where would it be? I'd like to visit Australia.
12. What is one word that describes you and why? Hardworking - I have a lot of goals and between running and cycling I have to find extra time in the day to do everything I need to be the best that I can. I love working hard for something and seeing results at the end of the day.
Carla's Story...I was born in South Africa where I lived for about sixteen years. I have been running since I was six and started competitively running the 1200m when I was in the 3rd grade. In South African high school I did biathlons and then switched to cross country when I moved to America. I also love cycling and hiking. My family is extremely important to me, and I love them very much.