Up Close & Personal with April Harris
Today we meet up with junior April Harris who comes to Lees-McRae from Jonesville, Va. Harris is pursuing a degree in criminal justice and hopes to become a probation officer after graduation. Join us as we get up close and personal with her.
1. What made you decide to come to Lees-McRae College? I chose Lees-McRae because it was a small school and because of the team.
2. What are you most looking forward to this season? I'm looking forward to seeing what I can accomplish.
3. Tell us about the toughest race you ever competed in and what made it so tough. My sophomore year in high school we were running at Harris Heart Farm to qualify for state, and it was 90 something degrees. The whole course was continual rolling hills in the open so there was no shade. Everyone was passing out and dropping out of the race. All I could think was I want to go to state but all I wanted to do was just be done. I was letting the heat get to me as well as the course. That race was the biggest mental challege I think I have ever had. When I finished I passed out but I qualified for state.
4. What do you do to prepare yourself for your cross country races? I go in with a positive attitude and say whatever happens happens as long as I gave my best.
5. Who has had the biggest impact on your running career? My teammates...they keep me going.
6. What is your favorite part about being a member of the Bobcat cross country team? The team...we have a close bond, in addition, we have fun.
7. What personal and team goals have you set for this season? Personally I'd like to break into the 18s and see both teams (men's and women's) qualify for nationals this year.
8. What is the biggest mental challenge you face in running? Pushing myself that extra mile is my biggest challenge.
9. Where is your favorite place to run and why? I do not have a specific favorite place to run but I love running trails because you get a wide variety of scenery.
10. What is your idea of a perfect afternoon? Going to the lake and hanging out with friends is my idea of a perfect afternoon.
11. If you could try something new today what would you try and why? I would try boxing because it is another good way to relieve stress.
12. Describe your favorite dessert. Cheesecake